With Thanksgiving right around the corner next to the turkey the super star of the table, stuffing gets the award for best supporting dish. This year instead of making it with white bread, sourdough bread or even rice why not consider making it with KING'S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Bread? I think once you try using sweet bread you might not even consider using the others. We’ve added dried apricots and cashews and they add much needed texture and crunch to the stuffing.
TIP: If you don’t have apricots, dried cherries would make a nice substitution.
I think you and your turkey are both going to like this version.
King’s Hawaiian Sweet Bread Stuffing
8 ounces sausage – casings removed
1 stalk celery – minced
1 onion- minced
1 egg - beaten
2 tablespoons minced flat leaf Italian parsley
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1-2 cups chicken broth
¼ cup chopped dried apricots
¼ cup cashews
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bread cubes onto a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for approximately 15 minutes OR until toasted.
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until meat is cooked through. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- To pan add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook until softened. Season with salt and pepper. Add sausage. Stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a LARGE bowl. Add egg, parsley, and poultry seasoning. Stir to combine. Add in bread cubes and 1 cup chicken broth, apricots and cashews. Combine. If mixture is too dry add additional stock, if mixture is too wet add additional bread.
- When well combined and to desired consistency pour into an oven proof casserole dish, cover with aluminum foil and bake for approximately 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for additional 15 minutes or until lightly brown.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
To enjoy this recipe with friends and family and for easy viewing you can print from here.